Tips for your dog not to spend heat in summer
This post is also available in: Español (Spanish)
As with humans, dog in summer is quite sensitive to dehydration as well as heat strokes. Despite this, they have problems to regulate their body temperature because they have no ability to sweat. Therefore, we must be very careful when there are high temperatures in the summer months.
What to do so that our dog does not have heat in summer?
To make the dogs do not have too much heat during the summer season, we must take into account several aspects, among which stand out:
- If We notice that the dog is very hot, it is advisable to give water and refresh the body and head.
- In case the dog has a lot of hair, it is recommended to cut it in summer, but not too much, since the hair protects both the cold and the heat.
- It Is Important that the dog always has clean and fresh water available. Our furry friends can survive longer if they lack food, but if they lose more than 12% of their body’s water, they can even die.
- It is not recommended to go out with the dog to the street during the central hours of the day, which is when it gets hotter and more can affect them. The most advisable in these cases is to take them out to first and last part of the day. If you can get it out after eating, better, but it must be for a windy or shade area so that it does not suffer so much the consequences of the sun.
- In case the dogs are very hot at home, start the air conditioner to lower the temperature of the home is one of the options to make you feel better.
You have to be especially careful with all those dogs that have a flat nose like the bulldog, pug, boxer, etc., also with those who have heart failure or respiratory or obesity, because they are very sensitive to live episodes of heat strokes, being able to get a body temperature of more than 42 º, becoming a danger to them.